UK History, Customs and Culture.

So………….Where, or what types of houses/properties or dwellings do British people live in?

Some people live in luxury ones.  A Castle for example, a Mansion or simply a very large house.  The ‘affluent‘ type.  Simply, people with money.  The ‘wealthy’ or the ‘rich’, are amongst many descriptions for such people………….

See (Photo Gallery) of typical examples of some of those mentioned in this post, below.

Then ‘ordinary folk’ live in the following types; detached housesDetached means that the building does not share an inside wall with any other house or dwelling. It has only outside walls and does not touch any other dwelling.  You can have a ‘link’ detached, but that is only joined to another house by a garage or just a ground floor room.

……… and then there are Semi-Detached houses, or ‘Semis’ also found in Canada and Australia as well as in the UK.  Consists of pairs of houses built side by side as units sharing a party wall and usually in such a way that each house’s layout is a mirror image of its twin.

You can have housing estates made up of a mixture of Detached and Semi-detached properties.

Then there are ‘Terraced’ houses.  A house that is one of a row of identical houses situated side by side and sharing common walls.

And Bungalows which are single storey properties, dare I say preferred by the elderly as there are no stairs.  A low house, with a broad front porch, having either no upper floor or upper rooms set in the roof, typically with dormer windows.

In years gone by there were houses rented from the Council……….Council Houses, Council Flats.  They still exist but a lot of them have been taken over by Housing Associations …….. of which a lot are multi storey buildings or Tower Blocks.  A ‘council house or flat’ otherwise known as a local authority house or flat, is a form of public or social housing. The term is used primarily in the United Kingdom and Ireland.

Other types of dwellings consist of Maisonettes.  A self-contained apartment (usually on two floors) in a larger house and with its own entrance from the outside.

And for the country folk, Cottages.  A small, single-storied house, especially in the country.  Away from the hustle and bustle of the Town or City.  Or, known as ‘out in the sticks’, which means living out in remote places, for example the countryside.

Examples of types of houses in Britain:


About Oye! - Overcome Your English!

Oye! is not about teaching English, it's about helping improve your English communication, your listening skills and getting used to different English accents. Helping improve your English as a second language in a practical way. Immersing you in the language. " Overcome Your English....with everyday English. Every day! " The total unique experience.
This entry was posted in English Language Immersion Course, General, Photographs, UK History, Customs & Culture and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Please, leave a Comment.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s